9.12.2009

Remembering 9.11

As is the case for all Americans, I will never forget where I was on 9.11.01. I was in the middle of Prof. Convisor's Remedies class at Chicago-Kent. Being that my school is associated with a technology institute it is only natural that it was one of the first law schools that equipped its classrooms with wi-fi. Of course, students aren't suppose to be surfing the Internet while in class, but ...... That morning the students who were surfing got the news and could not hold back the chatter and gasps. It was so loud that Prof. Convisor interrupted his class thinking that he had a bunch of dopes for students. We were all in shock. Then everyone started talking at once about the situation...the world trade center was on fire, perhaps hit by an airplane, perhaps pilot error, already talk of a possible terrorist attack but no one was sure of anything at that point. Then the other tower was hit. The entire room was silent. Then the towers collapsed and people started sobbing. During that time, there were rumors about the Sears Tower being a target. Our school is only a block away from the Sears Tower. We were told to go home. I had to walk passed the Sears Tower and was never so scared.

Those attacks touched me in a way that I have never felt before and hope never to feel again. I was literally glued to the TV for days afterwards watching the news, in a somber mood, crying. When learning of the attacks, one of my first thoughts was of my sisters-in-law (Cat and Lisa)who lived in NYC. Chris and I tried desperately to reach them both but we were unsuccessful. We finally got through later that day and learned that they were OK. Lisa, a medical student at that time, went to ground zero to help out. She was recently interviewed by local news---here's her account of that day.

No comments: