1.07.2010

Heirloom Series: Cookware


Some people may not think of pots and pans as an heirloom but Chris and I get into that sort of thing. For Chris, it is MomMom's (this is what he called his grandmother) Club Aluminum cookware. This cookware is the hallmark of quality and durability (here's an interesting article about its history). MomMom had them for many, many years, used them everyday, passed them on to us which we use daily as well. They may not look as fancy as some of their newer, more contemporary counterparts, but they are part of our most prized possessions. Some of Chris' earliest memories are at MomMom's house in Philly making gravy and homemade pasta with Aunt Bella and MomMom while using these pots and pans. When MomMom passed a few years ago these pots and pans were the only things Chris wanted. They are real treasures to him (and to me). Although we haven't kept them as tidy as MomMom would have (she was OBSESSED with all cleaning, seriously!!) I am sure MomMom would be pleased to know that her pots and pans are being put to good use. We even give them a good scrubbing with steel wool every once in a while--in her honor!



For me, it is a cast iron skillet with a hand-hammered top from Granny Rose. It is at least 20 lbs....no kidding. Given the weight, needless to say, we don't use it very often. I wish I could say that I remember her using it, but not really. She didn't really cook that much. What I remember most of her cooking is her giblet gravy at Thanksgiving---yummy! Nonetheless, every time I see or use the skillet I think of Granny Rose and I guess that's what having heirlooms is all about.....remembering your loved ones.



Some other cookware related treasured heirlooms are these walnut and pewter salt & pepper shakers. I think these are stunning (if salt & pepper shakers can be stunning). These were also MomMom's (courtesy of Chris' mom....long story there!).

2 comments:

Phil said...

I seem to remember that one of the club aluminum lids slid off the counter on Rawle St and hit one of the grendchildren in the head. I just can't remember who it was. I am thinking Lisa but am not sure.

iozl said...

I'm glad we got the old cutting board and salad bowl. Otherwise you guys would be hoarding EVERYTHING!