6.20.2013

Liquid Gold



That's olive oil in Italian slang.  OK, I admit.  Touring an olive oil museum at first blush doesn't sound too interesting.  My thoughts exactly.  But, boy was I wrong.  The Loreto Aprutino Museo dell'oilio in Abruzzo was the most interesting tour I've had the pleasure of joining.

Loreto Aprutino Museo dell'oilio

Loreto Aprutino is the small town we stayed in while in Abruzzo and is one of 3 towns that are known for  superior quality olive oil in the region.   The towns history is evident in the landscape of distinctly beautiful olive trees for as far as the eye can see.  To be honest the old school process sounded painful for horses and men but luckily the world today can now produce oil with more modern ways but still producing those same traditional results.  One of the tricks is making sure the olives are pressed within 24 hours (or 2 days max) so that the oil is not too acidic.










Can't wait to try my Loreto Aprutino olive oil when I get back home!!

No comments: