4.26.2010

I'm a Pomme Frites Fan

It was a gloomy, rainy weekend in the OP but we did manage to get out of the house a bit for some cycling and soccer practice.


We even visited the new (well, new to us) Chicago’s French Market which has been on my list of things to do for a while. The market is touted as an authentic French market with local artisans and purveyors. There were specialty vendors with fresh bread, meats, cheeses, chocolates, crepes..... However, as much as it pains me to say this, I was disappointed. I guess my expectations were just too high (although I've never been to a French market so I don't really know what I based my expectations on).  Given the French nature, I was really looking forward to an authentic French crepe but this was my biggest disappointment---they were just OK. I've had better crepes at Rooster in St. Louis (for all I know perhaps these weren't authentic crepes but they were awesome nonetheless....so much so that I ate there twice during a weekend stay!). On the bright side though, the espresso was excellent and the homemade french fries with truffle mayo…..delicious! So all in all it wasn’t a total bust, but I don’t think I will make another special trip to the City to go to this market. That said, if I were a commuter using this train station (the market is located in a train station) or worked close by, I think this place would be a perfect quick lunch spot or place to stop by for some fresh veggies for dinner.

ARose seemed to have a good time though.....


And M made a new friend at the shoe store and became instant best friends. We are even planning a play date. I think adults could take a lesson from kids in this respect!



1 comment:

Phil said...

Je ne parle par Francais