11.29.2011

Paris 1906: Escoffier Style


I was thinking about Next today (to be specific, eagerly anticipating the next menu offering...El Bulli!!!!) and then all of a sudden my stomach felt a little funny.  I had the pleasure of dining at Next during the Summer with some great friends.  However, in the midst of Summer stuff, a basement flood, and life in general, did I ever publish the Next post?  And, sadly, NO, I did not.  I can't believe this.  What?!?!  One of the most memorable meals of my life and I forget to hit a button!!!  I have forgotten or simply haven't had the energy these days to posts things and I can live with that but Next.  OK, the world will continue to rotate but I need to do this.  So, here's the original post.

June 22, 2011

A couple of days before my birthday this year, I had the pleasure of sharing a unique dining experience with some dear friends.  This time, it was the mysterious "Next".  This is the new restaurant by Grant Achatz.  I say mysterious because the buzz of this restaurant started over a year ago with a short video clip of what was to come---a new restaurant with a twist.  Rather than reservations, you order tickets.  Rather than order from a menu, you only know the location and period of time of inspiration for the menu.  You don't pay at the end, you pay up front.  I guess it's sort of like ordering tickets toto a movie, yet you don't know the exact movie....just the genre.  The menu changes every 3 months and so does the table decor.

The hype surrounding this restaurant creates challenges for getting tickets to the restaurant.  Luckily, though, we had our secret weapon--Mel.  She followed the opening chatter religously.  And on the date we were given to start the ticket process, she sat in front of her computer for several hours with several open screens hitting the refresh button every few minutes, with no potty breaks, shower breaks and just enough of a break to grap a bite to eat (eating at her computer of course).  Until finally.....she got through!!!!  We were a group of 6 and they only have one 6 top, the kitchen's table, so that was our table.  And, boy, was it worth the time and energy!!!!

I can't even begin to go into the specifics of the meal, but it was incredible.  I am very fortunate to have this opportunity and to have such awesome friends to share an experience such as this with.  Thanks Elmo's and Pettit's for an unforgettable night!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Hey there- We are off to childhood on Saturday! I cannot wait. Paris was really the meal of a lifetime. So glad we got to share it. xo

iozl said...

Were the numbers on the menu the actual dollar amount they were over-charging you?
Come on, you know PDX has better restaurants! ;op