8.21.2011

Julia Child: An annual celebration



We celebrated Julia Child's birthday once again this year with our good friends the Elsmos and some other great people.  This has become one of my favorite annual events.  Why?  The company goes without saying!!!  Any time with the Elsmos and their close friends is time enjoyed to the fullest!  The other probably has something to do with the fact that I don't really cook traditional French food that often so this gives me a chance to brush off those skills (really, just an excuse to use a lot of butter and cream and still feel OK about it!).  And, last but not least,Julia.  She was a pioneer...strong, ambitious, humble, entertaining, funny...all around classy lady.  An inspiration.  I made a fennel dish with potato crepes.  The crepes were a keeper.. sadly, not so much the fennel dish.  I used the ginormous fennel from our garden which was a mistake.  It was super tough.  Good thing I had some back up fennel.

Can't wait for next year. 

Side Note--Mel of the Elsmos is not only a fantastic chef, she is also a very talented writer.  She has been a fellow blogger (and I feel strange saying this because I am clearly not in her "blogger" league!) for a few years --personal and food blogs.  A few months ago she was picked up by some local papers and is a regular columnist for those papers.  At the JC party she laughingly warned us all that we may be in her next piece.  To my surprise (which I discovered on Friday through other friends in the area) I was the victim:-)  Pretty cool, thanks Mel!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Had to put you in the paper penny!! You have always been the most enthusiastic Julia party goer and one of my all time favorite guests! Thanks for all your kind words. xo