4.12.2011

The Schwa Factor

Calling all foodies. 

Schwa is a restaurant you do *NOT* want to miss!

Sure it takes perserverance, flexibilty and a little bit of Irish luck to actually get a reservation at this restaurant.  But don’t be dissuaded by the reservation system. It’s all part of the allure--the art of seduction if you will. And, it seems that you don’t get the full experience until you’ve been cancelled on at least once–in our case, it was a few weeks ago within 3 hours of our reservation time. They were extremely apologetic. It was frustrating admittedly.  No worries, though. They actually called us back a few days later to follow up on cancellation.  Given that they don’t have a wait staff or hostess (just the chefs) I thought that was impressive! Not to mention that I think you get better dates and times on the reschedule!

It is located in a nondescript Chicago neighborhod, with a nondescript awning, and the look of a boarded building (without the actual boards). I had been forewarned about this look and still had the slight urge to run!  It seats only 26.  Minimum decor.   You listen to rap/hip hop the entire night which typically is not my thing but felt right that night. The service was impeccable!  Unpretentious.  The best service I have ever experienced. The chefs were attentative to every single detail. Our glasses were never empty.  Super low key with everything except for the food.  It was a concert in the kitchen.  I loved every single dish, practically licking my plate (especially the baked potato soup, riso and pork belly).

Chef Michael Carlson is a genius.

Schwa has unexplainable attractiveness/sexiness.

It's the Schwa Factor!

(BTW, my little post really doesn’t do this place justice.  If you want a fantastic review check out my friend’s extraordinary narrative!  She has a true gift, doesn't she?!)

amuse
cherry covered chocolate with whiskey

octopus
pineapple, macadamia nut, char
baked potato
skins, bacon, cheddar, sour cream


Off the menu Signature Dish 
quail egg ravioli stuffed with buffalo ricotto and truffle oil

riso
chicken livers, honey

roe
passionfruit, violet

scallops
rye, lemon, aquavit

pork belly
butterscotch, persimmons, radichio

smores
beef mole, graham, marshmallow, campfire
cheese
dessert
(to be honest, I can't remember...I was totally stuffed at this point!)

1 comment:

Mel said...

You are so sweet!! The link surprised me, but more importantly I am thrilled you loved your meal!! Amazing! I am impressed you got so many pictures! Was that ravioli enough to push you over the edge or what? Did you have the Pretzel gougeres with cheddar and chimmay foam. Loved that one, too!