2.16.2011

The Little Mexican Cooking School


Traditional Molcajete (lava rock)
 In researching things to do in Puerto Morelos, I came across a glowing recommendation for a cooking class at The Little Mexican Cooking School. Since I love to eat (man, do I!) and I love to cook, this was right up my alley. It was also up the alley of Mel and Lisa (we are a family full of foodies…fun!) who joined me for the class.

Sure, I can make nachos and tacos with some guacamole but I really didn’t know much of anything about authentic Mexican cooking. I feel like living in the Chicago area (we are something like the second largest population of Hispanics outside of Mexico), it’s pretty much mandatory to have a basic understanding of Mexican foods. Before this class I was always intimidated by the aisle filled with dried peppers and other seasonings in the supermarkets. What the heck do you do with those things? Well, this school enlightened me. I learned about the flavors and ingredients used in Mexican cooking. I tasted fruits I have never heard of. Tasted seasonings, that sounded vaguely familiar, but I had no idea how to use. Tasted new "festive" drinks.
Xtabenun (similar to Sambuca)
F-U-N!!

Throughout the day (it was from 10-4:30; supposed to end at 3 but it was just that good!) we were treated with little tastes of Mexico, sampled lots of local drinks, made homemade tortillas. Mel and I even made some salsas for the class using a molcajete (Mexican mortar and pestle).



Oh, and to add to the charm -- the cooking school was in a private house, taught by a local chef. The class was held inside the kitchen obviously but the cool thing was that the kitchen opened up to a tiny quaint outdoor area with a small swimming pool, hammock and lush tropical plants. It was picturesque.





F-U-N!!


I know visiting ancient the Mayan Ruins should have been the highlight of my trip but I can’t really appreciate the history like I should. What I can do is enjoy food so I have to say that this little cooking school was the highlight of my trip!!!!


OUR MENU

 Tortilla Making (all Mexico)
 Radish Salad

 

 Guacamole (all Mexico)
 Roasted Tomato Chipotle Salsa Roja (Comtemporary)
 Salsa Verde Cocida (Central Mexico)
 Sopes or Picaditas Veracruzanas (Coastal México)



 Tortilla Soup (Central México)







 Pan-fried Mero Fish (Grouper) with Poblano Rajas con Crema and Grilled Cambray Onions (Contemporary)
 Charro Beans (North México)






 Chocolate Mouse/Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Berries







Chef Pablo and the Ladies

3 comments:

Mel said...

Yep...a little Chef Pablo goes a long way!

Angela said...

This looks like SUCH a blast! The whole trip does, really. But this day looks particularly amazing.

Unknown said...

We'll always have Pablo.